Top 10 keyboard shortcuts everyone should know
CG Computing Tips – Top 10 keyboard shortcuts everyone should know
1. Ctrl + C or Ctrl + Insert Copy the highlighted text or selected item.
2. Ctrl + V or Shift + Insert Paste the text or object that’s in the clipboard.
3. Ctrl + Z and Ctrl + Y Undo any change. For example, if you cut text, pressing this will undo it. This can also often be pressed multiple times to undo multiple changes. Pressing Ctrl + Y would redo the undo.
4. Ctrl + F Open the Find in any program. This includes your Internet browser to find text on the current page.
5. Alt + Tab or Alt + Esc Quickly switch between open programs moving forward. Tip: Press Ctrl + Tab to switch between tabs in a program. Tip: Windows Vista and 7 users can also press the Windows Key + Tab to switch through open programs in a full screenshot of the Window.
6. Ctrl + Back space and Ctrl + Left or Right arrow Pressing Ctrl + Backspace will delete a full word at a time instead of a single character.
Holding down the Ctrl key while pressing the left or right arrow will move the cursor one word at a time instead of one character at a time. If you wanted to highlight one word at a time you can hold down Ctrl + Shift and then press the left or right arrow key to move one word at a time in that direction while highlighting each word.
7. Ctrl + S While working on a document or other file in almost every program pressing Ctrl + S will save that file. This shortcut key should be used frequently anytime you’re working on anything important.
8. Ctrl + Home or Ctrl + End Move the cursor to the beginning or end of a document.
9. Ctrl + P Print the page being viewed. For example, the document in Microsoft Word or the web page in your Internet browser.
10. Page Up, Space bar, and Page Down Pressing either the page up or page down key will move that page one page at a time in that direction. When browsing the Internet pressing the space bar will also move the page down one page at a time. If you press Shift and the Space bar the page will go up a page at a time.
Article supplied by C G Computing based in Walmley Village, Sutton Coldfield.
This article appears in Walmley Pages Magazine, a local publication delivered free to homes in Sutton Coldfield post code B76